April 19, 2007

The Look of Taste

It’s always fun and useful to show folks the evil secrets of advertising magic.

Fast Food: Ads vs. Reality

A series of photos comparing the fluffy, beefy, choreagraphed foods seen in advertisments, to what those meals actually look like when you take them out of the box.

Well, that’s not entirely true. Most of the “food” in food ad photos are models made of plastic, or sculptures made of various non-food items, or foods that have been painted/lacquered to look appropriately yummy. The “real” food photos are particularly funny, because they’re so familiar. Hamburgers always look like that: squashed and lopsided and rubbery and goopy. Fairly unappetizing, really. And yet when we think “I really would like a hamburger right now,” we probably visualize the fake ones we saw on TV instead of the dozens/hundreds we’ve eaten in real life.

Posted by Jake on April 19, 2007 11:15 pm

1. duh…is this seriously a big shock?

we have all see the food they serve…would you put it in a commercial? For god’s sake the food looks perfect, anything that looks perfect is fake.

only morons think thats real food and they deserve what they get if they eat it.

Comment by MATT H — April 20, 2007 @ 5:06 am

2. Oh Matt with your whining/spamming on every thread. Its not like the story was meant to shock or be some big exposed secret. Just a reminder of how our perceptions are colored by advertising. We all know how fake they are but I realized how effective the ads are when I started thinking…I could go for a few of those.

Comment by Brian D — April 20, 2007 @ 10:37 am

3. seems to me these threads were fucking sedate as hell b4 i started posting anything…

no one ever even made a peep. myself/you all would keep it more intresting if we’d post more of our thoughts, thats the idea of a godamn *COMMENT board….anyway

“st00pid” people get what they deserve in this case. . thats all im saying.

Comment by Matt — April 21, 2007 @ 5:37 pm

4. unfortunately matt, your comments are “st00pid”– and you will get what you deserve.

Comment by kitkat — April 22, 2007 @ 5:13 am

5. I spur communication and debate on alot of stuff, how can that be bad?
    jake runs a great site here and i wish more people would voice opinions.

As i said b4:
    “you all would keep it more intresting if we’d post more of our thoughts, thats the idea”

that being said, why does this (my comments) bother you?

If you dont want to read it -
    SWEET! GOOD FOR YOU! HAVE A NICE DAY!!!
    freedom of choice is dandy :)

what do i deserve kitkat?
    (I hope its pancake buffet….)

Comment by Matt — April 22, 2007 @ 9:23 am

6. god taco bell is yummy… I cant deny its yummi-ness :)

i know its slowly killing me but taquitos are so damn good, i think they put crack in the sauce…

Comment by AL-bert — April 25, 2007 @ 8:44 am

7. I just saw a commercial for subway. the sandwich LOOKED very appetizing, as well as thier competitors food seemed quite inadequate. A very humble observation at best, if you truly are led to believe that what you see is what you get, you should not be so misled.

Comment by mr. ugly — May 30, 2007 @ 5:15 pm