September 3, 2006

Re-Opt-Out

To anybody in high school or who has kids in high school:

Many of you have surely heard of the provision of the No Child Left Behind Act that forces school’s to give their students’ personal information to military recruiters. If you haven’t, now you do.

I’ve put links here before to a form you can fill out to stop your school from doing this to you. But I just recently learned that this isn’t a one time deal, you have to “opt out” of the program every year.

So all you high school and high school affiliates, the new school year is upon us. Fill out the form and give it to your principal. Make copies and give em out to all your school pals. Tell the military recruiters to fuck off.

Posted by Jake on September 3, 2006 10:20 pm

1. So being in the military is evil? At least they don’t sit behind a computer all day, complaining about The Man. The military is a viable and noble option for many people. George Bush is evil for sending them out to die for nothing.

Comment by Kelly Morgan — September 4, 2006 @ 11:49 am

2. Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of “if you join the military right now, they’ll send you to Iraq where there’s a good chance that you’ll get an arm or leg blown off, and you probably don’t want that”.

And let’s remember, Bush didn’t send the soldiers off to die “for nothing”, he sent them off in an effort to increase US power in the Middle East and better control the region’s oil supply. And the US government has a pretty long history of sending soldiers into other countries for similar objectives that I wouldn’t consider particularly noble.

Comment by Jake — September 4, 2006 @ 1:04 pm

3. Again you are blaming the soldiers for Bush’s policies. My Uncle and Grandfather both fought for the US in Vietnam and WW2, respectively. They both tell me the media perception that the military don’t want to do their job is so deeply wrong it’s amazing. You have never met many soldiers have you? Cowards need not apply to the military. And no, our family has never been poor, and we are white.

Comment by Kelly Morgan — September 4, 2006 @ 5:00 pm

4. Kelly, how is Jake “blaming the soldiers for Bush’s policies”? I don’t think he is. Here is a list of who Jake named as policy-makers.

They (the government) — “…they’ll send you to Iraq…”
    Bush — “…Bush didn’t send the soldiers off to die ‘for nothing’…”
    The U.S. government — “And the US government has a pretty long history of…”

Jake is blaming Bush and his predecessors, not the soldiers.

Comment by GK4 — September 5, 2006 @ 7:11 am

5. What the hell’s wrong with joinin up??? You think poor and/or minority folk are too gullible to say “no thank you.” All they can do is ask. So chill the fuck out.

Comment by brendan — September 5, 2006 @ 3:35 pm

6. There are alot of dangerous jobs out there. We benefit from the hard work of these people everyday. Of course there are the police, firefighteres and the like. We need these people, they keep us alive. We also benefit from the risks taken by people in jobs that are not vital, fishermen, that guy who works graveyard shift at 7/11, security guards for businesses etc etc…they all take risks for their salary. Being in the military is no more or less dangerous than any of these other jobs, probably less so overall and with better benefits. Think about that with your next serving of crab legs.

Comment by Keith — September 6, 2006 @ 10:04 am

7. You know what, I think we should ask a soldier who has been to Iraq and other places to find out what it really is like to be a soldier. Espeacially in these modern times…

Comment by sueannew — September 7, 2006 @ 1:20 am

8. Most dangerous jobs in the world:
    10. BODYGUARD
    9.COAST GUARD SEARCH AND RESCUE
    8.BOMB SQUAD
    7. ARMORED CAR GUARD
    6.POLICEMEN
    5.FIREFIGHTER
    4. MINER
    3. TRUCK DRIVER
    2. LOGGER
    1. CRAB FISHERMAN

Funny I don’t see military on that list anywhere, except for Coast Guard. And alot of the things these people do are not necessary. I live in New York, we just lost two firefighters who went into a burning, unoccupied building. Do we need to eat crab? Do we need all those logs, and mining and truck drivers hauling plastic Spongebob Squarepants across the country. No. Life is cheap.

Comment by Keith — September 7, 2006 @ 12:28 pm

9. Let me add my $0.02. I think Jake was also concerned with the fact that the military can get access to private data (names, addresses) automatically. In this day and age, the school system can’t teach evolution theory or what homosexuality is, but giving the list of students to the Army is ok. This type of recruitment should be done at the DMV or by some other services, NOT by schools. Let the schools do what they’re supposed to: TEACH. And that job’s not easy, given the numerous acts that have no effect anyway…

Jake- thanks for fighting the good fight.
    Military people- let’s hope the Leader uses his Armies wisely to avoid wasted lives…

Comment by Stephen — September 7, 2006 @ 12:47 pm

10. School do alot of shit besides teach. Give out free meals. Haul kids to school in busses. Counsel them. Babysit them after hours. Hire special ed and nurses to “teach” kids who are handicapped and barely conscious because the parents demand their “public education rights.” (i saw this first hand) If the worst thing that happens to your kids is that they get on Uncle Sam’s mailing list then be happy. Just write a letter telling the government everyone on your family is openly gay and they will leave you alone. Ok i was kidding about the last part. kinda.

Comment by Brendan — September 7, 2006 @ 1:59 pm

11. http://www.corporatemofo.com/stories/040404smarterthan.htm

Comment by LMB Zombie — September 9, 2006 @ 7:00 am

12. Well, let me say that I’m definately thankful for Jake’s post. This isn’t the first time that schools have tried to tie up recruiters to a breeding ground of recruitments in schools. That’s apparent by the overwhelming number of recruitment groups that are allowed in lunchrooms and the like, and also, obviously by this part of the No Child Left Behing Act. I’m not sure how many other schools had to take it, but I also took something called the ASVAB test. I got to a part that I had to sign saying that I would hand over the information I had given on the test to the military recruiters, and I guess I was really one of the only one’s that thought twice about that, because there was a woman who came over and said I had to sign the test or I could leave. In my little 10th grade mind at the time, I didn’t want to argue, so I signed it. Sure enough, I was called by a recruiter a few months later, but that time I turned them down. God they’re pesky though.

~Alyssa

Comment by Alyssa — September 9, 2006 @ 11:16 am

13. This story is in every major newspaper in the country, not to mention a million blogs and magazines. Not exactly a blog scoop.

Comment by LMB Zombie — September 9, 2006 @ 3:12 pm

14. The woman said you had to sign the test or just leave. And you chose to sign it. What are you bitching about? Then you got a call from a recruiter, you said you weren’t interested and that’s that. Big fucking deal.

Comment by LMB Zombie — September 9, 2006 @ 4:07 pm

15. The Great Unsaid in all of this is the unquestioned reverence and respect for the military-minded wearing all uniforms from all countries. Conscription is one thing, but if you knowingly, willingly and voluntarily sign-on to an occupation that by definition means you will be trained to kill other humans, and are subject to the repercussions thereof, I have no sympathy for you whatsoever. Zero, zip, nada, none. In this so-called Judaeo-Christian nation where ‘the devout’ want to etch the 10 Commandments on public buildings, why the respect for those so willing to break the first one ‘Thou shalt not kill’? Support the troops?? Here’s an idea: Motherfuck the motherfucking troops. Millions of dead civilians all over the world, because so many idiots believe the ignorant propaganda they are fed. Defending the country by cluster-bombing civilians? Wow. You are so brave. FUCK ALL MILITARY AND ALL WAR-MONGERS IN EVERY COUNTRY. Fuck the motherfucking troops. Oh, right. I guess my unwillingness to sign-up, travel to countries I’ve never been to and kill people I never met, who never met me or anyone I know, have never done a fucking thing to me - I guess that makes me a coward. Fuck all you military assholes.

Comment by Dead Civilians everywhere — September 12, 2006 @ 10:23 am