August 21, 2006

Li’l Help?

Hey folks,

I’m looking to get a new laptop, a PC, but I am perpetually confused by all of the processor types out there. Used to be simpler, you got a 386 or a 486, or a Pentium or a Pentium II. But I don’t know the difference between a Centrino and a Celeron and Pentium M and a Turion and a Duron, etc. All I know is that my desktop computer has a Athlon chip, and I’d like to get as close to that (or better, of course) as I can afford.

Anyone know enough about these computer types to educate me?

Thanks.

[update]

looking through the comments…

I appreciate the suggestions, but I don’t really want a Mac. I’ve used them and found them irritating. Okay, PCs are irritating too, but I can usually make them do what I want them too. On top of that, Macs look a lot more expensive than I’d like to pay. I mean, I’m finding what look to be pretty decent laptops in the $600 range.

These Merom chips sound interesting, but I’d guess that the machines that have them will be expensive too.

And of course, it seems wise to avoid a Dell to avoid that whole inferno battery thing.

Anyone else? What’s the best AMD chip? What’s the worst?

[/update]

Posted by Jake on August 21, 2006 6:10 am

1. It’s easy: go and buy a Mac Book or a Mac Book Pro. Depends on your financial level. If you reliant upon running windows xp you can do so. Natively. They have Intel chips inside (core duo) and there are two ways of running win xp on it: 1) via BootCamp 2) Parallels.

If you need more infos just write me an e-mail.

Comment by yoram — August 21, 2006 @ 6:47 am

2. if you value your lap, i wouldn’t get a dell. or drink mcdonald’s coffee, for that matter. ;)

Comment by jeremy — August 21, 2006 @ 7:38 am

3. Problem with Macs is compatibility. And they are Macs, wtf? ABSComputers.com has some great deals and you should be able to find Athlon mobile processors over there (Athlon, Turion, etc. all better than Intels imo) - great site for those of us who don’t want the “Dell, Gateway, HP, rinse and repeat” options.

Comment by Stacey — August 21, 2006 @ 10:24 am

4. Consider holding off until the “Merom” processors find their way into the market (should be Real Soon Now). They’ll be called “Core 2 Duo” (as opposed to the current “Core Duo” processors. They’ll be much faster and use less power than the current machines, and may even cost less.

As to what make/model to get, I second the idea of getting a machine from Apple, even if you’re tied to Windows (you really should be sure you’re tied to Windows, though. Most people would be better off running Mac OS X). Dell and Lenovo are generally good choices for traditional PC vendors.

Comment by eric — August 21, 2006 @ 10:26 am

5. And I should have specified by AMD being “better than Intels” I meant dollar for dollar… Of course there are the Intel core duo processors and all that. But unless you plan on doing some major graphics design, the more cost effective Intels are great for gaming or whatever you want to do.

Comment by Stacey — August 21, 2006 @ 10:27 am

6. “the more cost effective Intels are great for gaming or whatever you want to do.”

I meant AMD there. Gonna stop trying to type cognitively on a Monday now. :P

Comment by Stacey — August 21, 2006 @ 10:29 am

7. If your level of familiarity is 386’s and 486’s it doesn’t matter what chip you buy. If it’s new it’s all going to be fast enough and good enough, unless you’re planning to play the very newest 3D games on it (in which case a laptop is going to suck anyways).

I’d reccomend not blowing too much money on a faster chip and to worry more about screen size, weight, robustness, and warranty. Laptops are one of the few places where I’d suggest brand name.

Also, expect the battery to die after a few years and find out how much the replacement cost is.

Comment by Trevor Bradley — August 22, 2006 @ 10:38 am

8. If you get a laptop definitely stay away from Dell’s (or anything they make for that matter). Right now I’d look at any HP/Compaq’s that are on sale (this is generally the best made for buck on market). Don’t worry too much about the processor because they are really too fast for the boards as it is. Try and get as much ram as possible for the lowest amount of money (I just priced a 1GB laptop at Best Buy for about $600).

Comment by Averyn Greene — August 23, 2006 @ 12:38 pm

9. I would suggest an HP Pavillion, and putting linux (ubuntu is pretty good) on it, you could even run a dual partition. It is hard to give you a suggestion without really knowing what you want to use with it.

Comment by asad — August 23, 2006 @ 10:48 pm