July 30, 2006

And the Oscar Goes to…

In one of my more bizarre internet moments, I googled my name (as we vain people tend to do), and discovered that I have an entry in the Internet Movie Database (IMDB). No, not someone with the same name as me, me.

Apparently, when I helped a guy with a documentary just a tiny bit, he officially thanked me in the credits. And IMDB seems to take “thank you” credits and turn them into “miscellaneous crew” credits. Therefore, despite never having worked on any movie in any way (except as an extra in a friend’s student film, where I was literally invisible on screen), I’m enshrined in the IMDB, forevah.

In other film news, I have finally caved in and joined Netflix. So any movie/TV-shows-on-DVD recommendations would be appreciated. However, I have seen a lot of movies, you might have to think a bit obscure to find one I haven’t seen. Gracias.

Posted by Jake on July 30, 2006 11:22 am

1. Once Were Warriors- New Zealand film that isn’t classifiable
    An coming of age-wife gets abused-uses her Maori heritage to get outta-there Drama. Gritty/poverty abounds.

Also has the guy that played Jango Fett,

Comment by Brian/Buddy — July 30, 2006 @ 2:10 pm

2. definately “Once Were Warriors”, but try to find “Safe Men” (comedy with Steven Zann) or “Down by Law”, although you might have caught that. Oh, “American Way” with Dennis Hopper - fairly badly done (”cult”), but nice/crazy ideas for the plot. The “thirteen floor” was good, I think I liked it because I had a similar idea once - again not done really well, but funky idea.

Comment by Nic — July 30, 2006 @ 2:24 pm

3. Lone Wolf and Cub series can’t be beat. Riki-Oh, The Story of Riki. I can only *assume* you’ve seen Old Boy… Happiness (a Todd Solondz film) is another classic, though any movie buff has surely already seen it. :P Deathrace 2000 is always good for a chuckle. If you haven’t watched any of the new Battlestar Galatica series (start with the mini-series) or Firefly/Serenity, I can’t recomment those highly enough. I’m not some uber sci-fi nerd (though I can get geeky), but those series just have some outstanding storylines.

Uh, drawing a blank this early in the morning on a Monday… That’s all I’ve got for now.

Comment by Stacey — July 31, 2006 @ 8:03 am

4. “Equilibrium” - Very good flick. Christian Bale (from American Psycho, Batman Begins) plays a sort of ‘emotion-cop’ set in the future. Check it out, you’ll like it =]

Comment by Athoria — July 31, 2006 @ 10:40 am

5. dark comedy TV series about a dysfunctional family. I ignored the hype for some time, but when I sat down to see it was quite good.

Comment by Michael — July 31, 2006 @ 3:24 pm

6. Little Fish
    gritty suburban piece with outstanding Australian cast

Comment by andyk — July 31, 2006 @ 11:08 pm