June 29, 2006

Masochism

In the wake of the New York Times/watch terrorists’ finances “controversy”, two Fox News show hosts have proposed that the government open an Office of Censorship, which would decide if stories had “news value” or if they “hurt our country.”

The hosts then suggested that the government smack all journalists around a bit, knock them to the ground, and pee on them.

This bullshit is so infuriating. The Republicans and their obedient monkey pals in the media are trying to give us 24/7 coverage of events and rhetoric to make us “outraged”. Gays! Flag burning! Cut and run! Brown people! And of course now, “liberal media!” and “terrorists!” in one.

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about perception: what we see, what we don’t see, and what we don’t let ourselves see. It actually takes a lot of mental work to not see what’s hovering in front of you at eye-level, but we all do it. There’s a lot of obvious shit out there that we need make sure gets seen.

Posted by Jake on June 29, 2006 11:25 pm

1. Why do I get all my depressing news from LMB? I need to take this site off of my RSS toolbar….

I am going to go cry now.

Comment by asad — June 30, 2006 @ 3:37 am

2. Ditto. This is scary. Small government conservatives my ass.

Comment by Brian D — June 30, 2006 @ 11:53 am

3. I am one of many democrats whom are 100% behind george bush and fox news for telling the other side of the story!!!!

Comment by jerry leonard — June 30, 2006 @ 12:45 pm

4. “Jerry”:

1) It’s “who are 100%”.
    2) I know the term has a pretty vague definition, but I don’t think you can call 13% of all Democrats “many”.
    3) Thanks for visiting the site, Senator Lieberman, but no one cares what you think.

Comment by Robby Simpson — June 30, 2006 @ 4:43 pm

5. Correction: Only 6% of registered Democrats support President Bush, not 13% as my previous comment suggested.

Comment by Robby Simpson — June 30, 2006 @ 4:49 pm

6. Methinks Robby is a rightard in disquise. Sorry but even Reagans former CIA counter-terror man Vincent Cannistraro says the effects are quite minor. I mean you think terrorists dont think this stuff goes on? Naive robby.

Comment by Brian D — June 30, 2006 @ 10:14 pm

7. meh. They just want it to cover up for their decreasing ratings.

Comment by Michael Ullom — July 1, 2006 @ 5:28 am

8. Fox would give Rush Limbaugh an evening anchor position if they could only afford him. Honestly, the real value of their standard “news” programming is as a test area for the next generation of conservative rhetoric. It sounds paranoid, but I honestly think that folks in the administration give guys like O’Reilly and Kilmeade and Hannity moronic talking points like this, just to see what sticks and what doesn’t in nascar america.

i just don’t see how they can stomach to do it: how can someone in the media advocate media censorship?

Comment by jeremy — July 1, 2006 @ 10:35 am

9. Why would the government need to open the OFFICE OF CENSORSHIP? Couldn’t the private sector better handle this? I’m sure if the vaunted FOX SECURITY Bill O’Reilly sics on phone callers not towing the corporate line stepped into the fray, they could come up with all sorts of extra-judicial methods to silence critics (I mean traitors). I don’t know what the uniforms look like for FOX SECURITY, but I’d like to suggest brown shirts for the proper law and order look.

Comment by LanceThruster — July 3, 2006 @ 5:34 pm

10. Two things, Brian:

1) Rightard? When, exactly, did the political debate in this country turn into kindergarten recess? What’s next, “poophead”?
    2) Are you just looking for someone to argue with? Because I don’t disagree with you, and nothing in my comment could possibly suggest that I did.

On a side note, I love numbered lists.

Comment by Robby Simpson — July 5, 2006 @ 3:58 pm