August 17, 2005

Ribbon Cutting

Somehow, I saw very few of the “God Bless America/Support Our Troops” faux-ribbon car magnets when I lived up in LA, but saw an explosion of them when I moved down to San Diego (understandable, as there are many military bases in this county).

They’re mostly based on the identification that so many Americans feel with their nationality, and with the brilliant and insidious “Support Our Troops” phrase that Washington spin doctors invented during the Gulf War. “Support Our Troops” literally means “make efforts to help US soldiers who are currently at war”, but usually translates into “I support the current war and you should to”. And “Support Our Troops” people usually interpret any disagreement with the phrase as “I hope we lose this war”, “I hate our soldiers” or “I hate America”. Most of this takes place at a gut level, of course.

Due to the fact that this symbolism and rhetoric is a trap, I heartily endorse mocking the fuck out of it.

I feel that this one nails the situation pretty well:

And this one does a good job of skewering those with more superficial motives:

And now of course, there are websites that let you make your own parodies. I feel you could get a nice jolt with some creative juxtaposition. Like this one I created:

Feel free to email me or post in comments with ideas for some nice counter-ribbons.

Posted by Jake on August 17, 2005 11:03 am

1. Here’s one that people might want to make for themselves. I have a home-made “ribbon” in my car’s rear-window. It’s got the red, white and blue, but it’s upside down with added curves to look like a “peace” hand-guesture, and the words are: “Support the Troops Who Quit”.

Comment by GK4 — August 17, 2005 @ 2:11 pm

2. And then there was the Tom Tomorrow T-shirt with “Support our Goons on the yellow ribbon.

Comment by mr. mike — August 17, 2005 @ 11:08 pm

3. you can make your very own magnets by swiping the real ones off of offending cars/suvs/trucks/etc. and using paint and a sharpie to put your brand new message on it. a good idea is to make a bunch of them, and then exchange your unpatriotic pinko homo magnets for the real magents of offending cars/trucks/suvs/etc. a little bit of direct action gets a little bit of satisfaction!

Comment by kittie — August 18, 2005 @ 9:20 am

4. “Support the Chickenhawks”
    and I’ve saw this on a T-Shirt once: “Support Our Gay Troops”

Comment by Lillian — August 18, 2005 @ 8:43 pm

5. Have you ever noticed that these magnets are not made in the US, nor do profits from the sale of these magnets go to help soldiers or their families. So really what these magnets mean is that the person buying them supports offshoring and propoganda.

Comment by Qikdraw — August 19, 2005 @ 1:39 pm

6. As much as I support the US’s efforts in Iraq, et.al..I have been tempted to put a magnet on my car, the basic configuration is two standard ribbons upside down with the slogan “Maidenform supports our DROOPS”. Ha Ha……
    Norm de Plume in Ohio U.S.A.

Comment by norm de plume — August 21, 2005 @ 5:33 pm

7. I ordered two. One says “Draft Jenna” The other says “Impeach Our President”

Comment by brew — August 21, 2005 @ 8:26 pm

8. I hate to put a damper on your party, but as the
    mom of a soldier, who may end up in Iraq soon,
    I am disheartened to read comments such as those posted above.
    Whether you like or don’t like Bush, wish to believe we are
    only in Iraq because of the oil, orjust want to jump on
    the anti-war bandwagon, “support our troops” means, “don’t spit on my son when he comes home. He is only doing his job, If you liked 911, keep this crap up. While you have the opportunity to be smug
    and judgmental, sitting at home on your cushy couch, watching TV and eating popcorn, and spouting your immature nonsense, it is someone else’s son or daughter who is putting themselves in jeopardy so you can continue to enjoy those activities. So, please, show a little respect for those who are fighting to keep you safe at home so 911 doesn’t happen here again.

Comment by ArmyMom — August 22, 2005 @ 9:50 pm

9. i suppose a u.s. soldier is just doing his job, like the nazi soldiers were just doing their jobs…

Comment by kittie — August 23, 2005 @ 10:28 am

10. ArmyMom

Some of us wupport our soldiers through better means. Like http://www.booksforsoldiers.com or http://www.opgratitude.com/ .

Plus you are linking 9/11 to Iraq, which there is zero evidence of.

I respect the soldiers, and I hope your son comes home safe, but respect for the soldiers does not mean blind acceptance of the administration.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
    Theodore Roosevelt

Comment by Qikdraw — August 23, 2005 @ 12:58 pm

11. Ditto Armymom.
    My Son, too is in Iraqm his 4th time.
    It is those like kittie that should
    spouting immature nonsense, grow up and
    show a little respect for those
    who fight for the US and all of us,
    as did our WWI and WWII Korean, Vietnam
    Veterans. None of us would be
    where we are and still speaking English with
    all of the God given rights and liberties that
    we have today. I am proud of my Son and I will always be and the loosers of this Country can just leave if
    they dont like it here. GOD BLESS OUT TROOPS

Comment by ArmyMomtoo — September 8, 2005 @ 11:37 am

12. Ditto Armymom.
    My Son, too is in Iraqm his 4th time.
    It is those like kittie that should
    spouting immature nonsense, grow up and
    show a little respect for those
    who fight for the US and all of us,
    as did our WWI and WWII Korean, Vietnam
    Veterans. None of us would be
    where we are and still speaking English with
    all of the God given rights and liberties that
    they dont like it here. GOD BLESS OUT TROOPS

Comment by ArmyMomtoo — September 8, 2005 @ 11:38 am

13. Ditto Armymom.
    My Son, too is in Iraq his 4th time.
    It is those like kittie that should