April 4, 2005

Hail Glorious Leader

Saw an issue of Newsweek at the grocery store yesterday, with former General Electric CEO Jack Welch on the cover. I forget the exact text, but they told you that they had an excerpt of his new biography inside.

With all that’s going on in the world, it seems an odd choice of cover story.

Until you remember that Newsweek is affiliated with MSNBC, which is partially owned by NBC, which is owned by, of course, General Electric.

Listen to this long sloppy blow job that Newsweek editor Mark Whitaker gives Welch in that issue:

“More than any other businessman alive today, Welch embodies pure energy and passion for the art of leadership. When you have a long, freewheeling conversation with Jack, as I was fortunate enough to do at a dinner not long ago, you don’t just learn about what made GE tick. You hear fascinating insights into what makes business tick, and what makes people tick…

Now Welch has poured his wealth of wisdom into a new book, “Winning,” which we’re happy to share with you in an exclusive excerpt. He outlines the eight qualities that he looks for in great leaders, as well as tips about how to hire and motivate, and straight talk on what bosses really think about balancing work and family… We hope you’ll find it a compelling read, and a valuable addition to our yearlong series on what people and priorities represent the kind of leadership we need in the 21st century.

I hate that this country thinks that CEOs should be admired or emulated or revered. Their job is to make money for their company shareholders at all costs. If putting a poisonous cobra into your mother’s bed would make money for GE, Jack Welch would do it. Well, he’d probably get an underling to tell an intern to go do it, but you get the idea.

To give us more perspective on this man among men, let’s look at this handy list of criminal violations committed by GE during only the last half of Welch’s tenure:

23 March 1990. Shepherdsville KY - GE and others ordered to cleanup PCB contamination of soil and water
27 March 1990. Wilmington NC - GE fined for discrimination against employees who report safety violations - $20,000
11 May 1990. Ft. Edward/Hudson Falls - GE ordered to clean up PCB contamination of Hudson River - $10 million
27 July 1990. Philadelphia PA - GE fined for defrauding government in defense contacts - $30 million
11 Oct 1990. Waterford NY - GE fined for pollution at Silicone Products plant - $176,000
20 May 1991. Washington, D.C. - GE Ordered to pay damages over improperly tested aircraft parts for Air Force and Navy - $1 million
27 Feb 1992. Allentown PA - GE ordered to pay damages for design flaws in nuclear plants - $80 million
4 March 1992. Orange County CA - GE fined for violating worker safety rules on handling PCBs - $11,000
13 March 1992. Wilmington NC - GE fined for safety violations at nuclear fuel plant - $20,000
22 May 1992. Illinois - GE ordered to pay damages for design flaws of nuclear plants - $65 million
22 July 1992. Washington, D.C. - GE fined for money laundering and fraud over illegal sale of fighter jets to Israel - $70 million
13 Sep 1992. Chicago IL - GE ordered to pay damages for airplane crash - $1.8 million
12 Oct 1992. Nashville TN - GE ordered to pay damages for deceptive advertising on lightbulbs - $165,000
27 Oct 1992. Washington D.C. - GE ordered to pay damages from overcharging on defense contracts - $576,215
12 May 1992. Washington D.C. - GE ordered to pay damages to whistleblower on illegal sale of fighter jets to Israel - $13.4 million
2 March 1993. Riverside CA - GE and others ordered to pay damages for contamination from dumping of industrial chemicals - $96 million
11 March 1993. Grove City PA - GE and others ordered to clean up mining site - $1.81 million
16 Sep 1993. NY - GE ordered to compensate commercial fisherman for PCB contamination of the Hudson River - $7 million
11 Oct 1993. San Francisco - GE ordered to offer rebates to consumers after deceptive light bulb advertising - $3.25 million
18 July 1993. Hudson Falls NY - GE ordered to clean up PCB contamination of Hudson R. - $2.5 million
2 Feb 1994. Perry OH - GE settles with utility companies on defective Perry Nuclear Plant.
14 Mar 1994. Ft. Edward NY - GE ordered to clean up contamination of sediment in the Hudson River - $100,000
14 Sep 1994. Washington D.C. - GE fined for overcharges in defense contracts - $20 million
2 Sep 1995. Waterford NY - GE fined for air pollution and contamination of Hudson River - $1.5 million
15 Sep 1995. Brandon FL - GE fined for groundwater contamination - $137,000
9 Sep 1996. Waterford NY - GE Fined for Clean Air Act violations - $60,000
7 Oct 1996. Hendersonville NC - GE ordered to cleanup contamination of soil and groundwater - $1.029 million
8 Oct 1996. Cook County IL - GE ordered to pay settlement from airline crash in Sioux City - $15 million
22 Feb 1997. Somersworth NH - GE and others ordered to clean up contamination of groundwater and public water supply - $ 7 million
Feb 1998. Waterford NY - GE fined for pollution violations - $234,000
20 April 1998. Waterford NY - GE fined for pollution violations - $204,000
Oct 1998. United Kingdom - GE ordered to pay for asbestos cleanup and related pollution claims - 2 billion pounds
26 Oct 1998. Puerto Rico - GE and others ordered to cleanup contamination of drinking water supply - $4.2 million
5 Nov 1998. South Whitehall PA - GE and others ordered to cleanup contamination - $1.035 million
24 Jan 1999. Chicago - GE ordered to reimburse consumers over unfair debt collection practices -$147 million
19 Aug 1999. Piscataway NJ - GE, others ordered to cleanup contaminated groundwater - $23 million
2 Sep 1999. Malvern PA - GE and others ordered to clean up groundwater contamination - $18.8 million
17 Sep 1999. Moreau NY - GE ordered to build drinking water system after PCB contamination of water supply - $5 million
9 Oct 1999. Pittsfield MA - GE ordered to clean up PCB pollution in Housatonic River - $250 million
18 Oct 2000. New York NY - GE and others ordered to clean up contamination of soil - $28 million
Jan 2001. NY - GE and others ordered to refund overcharges on mortgage insurance - $4 million
4 Feb 2001. NY - State Supreme Court rules GE deceptively misled consumers into purchasing new dishwashers after recall while sending commercial customers a replacement part.

Why mess with the poisonous cobra when you can just poison mom’s water and air?

And that list only contains what they got caught doing. It boggles the mind to think of what other atrocities they committed but got away with.

But he’s a great leader and we should learn from him. Motherfucker’s a millionaire when he should be a dead man walking.

Posted by Jake on April 4, 2005 12:03 pm

1. Yep, the future belongs to the ‘visionary’ CEO’s like Welch, who consider profit the only reason to be alive on this planet. FUCK THEM ALL! I can’t wait for the day that Corporate warfare actually entails watching these whoremongers attack each other with clubs in a steel cage.

Comment by pjr — April 5, 2005 @ 12:21 pm

2. I’m curious as to why the list stops in 2001. Surely they’ve had more violations since then, or is everyone wayyy to busy fighting the “terrrrists”. *rolls eyes*

Comment by Lindsey — April 6, 2005 @ 10:13 am

3. Right ON man, well done….although you just scared me
    shitless-what happens when Wal-Mart buys up defense contrac-
    tors and television networks???

Comment by scott — April 6, 2005 @ 6:48 pm

4. The typical CEO makes more money while
    taking a piss than their average employee
    will make in a year.

Comment by Billy Ray — April 7, 2005 @ 2:37 am

5. I’m a former IT employee of G.E. (I’m ashamed to admit) that was downsized, outsourced, whatever, eight months ago after almost 5 years. The “Leadershit” tactics of Jack Welch filter down to everyone in the lower ranks there. It doesn’t matter that this scumbag ruined the lives of many loyal employees. Read the book “At Any Cost : Jack Welch, General Electric, and the Pursuit of Profit” by Thomas F. O’Boyle. It was written over 6 years ago but clearly defines what G.E. is all about. I only regret that I didn’t read it before I accepted a position in IT there at age 51. I’ve been out of work for 8 months and been driving a taxi in NYC to pay some of the bills but my mortgage is coming out of dwindling savings. Just to put the “management” technique into perspective - when I was told that I was being laid off and I asked for the reason, my “Leader” said he was not at liberty to discuss it. I was out the door in 2 days with a pitiful severance (a little over 4 weeks pay). The corporate stooge in Human Resources told me that the reason I was being let go was because I didn’t possess the “skillsets” (GE is big on bullshit jargon) that 2 consultants had. Yeah right, I came to G.E. with 25 years in IT, and with additional 2 years training from Columbia University in the new technologies (C, C++, Java, OOP, Web development, etc.) but was denied any oportunities to use them. I hope Boob C. and the rest of these contemptible lying sacks of shit burn in hell.

Comment by Reverend Jim — April 8, 2005 @ 5:35 am

6. lets not forget that GE owned Opel back in the 40’s and made a shit load out of selling vehicles to the nazi’s, now that’s patriootism for ya!!!

Comment by ed — April 11, 2005 @ 8:08 am

7. Ditto to Reverend Jim. My husband was also an IT professional at GE. He did not purposefully seek employment with this company but was part of a company sucked into what is called “GESecurity”. He got the same song-and-dance as Rev.Jim, put on “PIP” (which is really just a way for the company to legally cushion themselves against lawsuits…they can say they “tried” to help the employee “improve”). Of course, every week the target changed. If objectives were met in any week, suddenly a whole new crop of alleged “failures” was noted.
    They tried to bribe him into quitting, (anyone hear Jack Welch tell Shawn Hannity that GE doesn’t fire people, they ask them to leave?) he said no way. He knew when he was first starting his PIP that it was going to fail, because the manager TOLD him so! Said he shouldn’t even bother to try, he should just quit. He was crude and rude.

His job was outsourced, he trained his replacements. Then became irrelevant. They have played the same game with many others in our state. And they are bleeding off the rest of the local employees slowly enough to avoid government mandated retraining programs and “plant closure” notifications. The plant will close within the year.

GE sucks. We’ll never buy a GE product, and we have many friends joining us. I also pray that the managers of this company will face a harsh judgment.

Comment by Jane — May 29, 2005 @ 9:37 am

8. Fuck Jack Welch and that whore bride of a new wife of his. Batty eyed cunt.

Comment by joe thurmond — June 14, 2005 @ 11:00 pm

9. The dumping of PCBs into the Hudson was done by GE LEGALLY for years before anyone knew what PCBs were capable of, then GE stopped. Now, they are VOLUNTARILY cleaning up the Hudson (an order, yes, but one they could easily sue over, which they haven’t yet). Now, before you all get huffy, remember that the author of this article was skewing the information he gave you in favor of his viewpoint. Geez, critical readers you are not. The author gives ZERO background info on many of these incidents. So do your own research before you all freak out, and remember that many of these acts were done by people, not GE the company, or Jack Welch.

Comment by Stephen — November 7, 2005 @ 6:28 am

10. Ge is a bunch of liars. They pollute and falsify their financial records all the time. When people bring it up, the try to get rid of you. They are liars who are falsifying financial record and their balancesheets. Do not buy this company stock

Comment by Former GE who knows what they do — January 18, 2006 @ 7:39 pm

11. Stephen - what division of GE do you work for? Must not be in a ‘growth’ division where GE acquires good businesses with good products and subsequently sucks them dry, squeezing out every penny by degrading quality and overworking hard working individuals before sacrificing them to ‘globalization’, ‘lean’ practices and profitability. As a current GE employee the comments by Jim and Jane above ring all too true.

Comment by Fan of Jim — January 19, 2006 @ 9:39 pm

12. Sorry, Stephen, but Jack Welch is a pig, pure and simple. Jack would auction his grandmother to a bunch of slavers if he thought there was a buck in it. And his employment policies were among the most abusive I’ve seen anywhere. His forced ranking system, now rendered illegal by a number of court cases, was intended solely to establish a paper trail that GE could use as a defense against age discrimination charges when they laid off older workers to whom they did not want to pay a high salaries and pensions. As self-insurers, they also wanted to minimize medical costs, which means getting rid of anyone over 50. Unless they’re already in management, of course (can’t hurt the club members after all).

As for the “legal” dumping of PCB’s, the dumping of industrial wastes into the Hudson may not have been specifically prohibited, but neither was it a permitted method of waste disposal. I worked at the Hudson Falls plant, and you wouldn’t believe the abandon with which that stuff was handled. But I don’t blame Jack for that; that was before his time. Rather, I blame him for shamelessley trying to take GE off the hook after the fact for the damage it had caused.

I’m actually not surprised that GE has as few genuine crimes as it has in the list given. Most of them are pollution related, a common legacy problem for older companies that came from an age where environmental awareness was miniscule. GE is, and has been for some time, acutely aware and concerned about legal compliance as a means of minimizing financial losses due to fines and tort judgements. But Welch’s legacy also includes an 1100-lawyer legal team that takes great pains to make sure they skirt the bounds of legality as closely as possible, especially as it applies to the company’s treatment of employees. Its HR policies are most insidious.

But its biggest problem is that its emphasis is not on making quality products (unless legally or contractually obligated to do so, of course), but with minimizing its workforce costs. What I most despise Jack Welch for is that he took GE from a company that once took great pride in making a quality product, to one where only making money is important any more, despite their protestations to the contrary. And because many other companies are following Welch’s lead, we are all suffering for that.

Comment by Bob — February 7, 2006 @ 5:22 pm

13. Can anyone help get through to Ellliot Spitzer. I was born and raised on the other side of the Waterford, NY GE plant and I have recently come down with a skin disorder. I have been doing my own “Erin Brocovick” and I think I might have a case. I have swam in the Hudson River, lived right across from GE, and I camped on the islands near GE in Waterford, NY. I do have a dermatoligist and I have been trying to contact Elliot to help me out. Any suggestions?

Comment by Lisa — June 7, 2006 @ 2:42 pm

14. I just purchased a new “Luxury” condo that has GE appliances. The refrigerator is a Profile Model/side by side #PSC23SGRDSS. The Ice Maker was not working properly, so I called and they sent out a Tech> The Tech stated that this model is a “Poor Design” and showed my to reach in and pull the ice back, so that the ice container would fill properly. I contacted GE and The KY, BBB. GE stated that the ice maker woks to specs. so will do nothing. Even though they admit it is a poor design. The worthless BBB supports GE/their BBB member. So much for the Customer!

Comment by Rick — September 11, 2006 @ 9:27 am

15. And GE’s big man Bob Nardelli is now at Home Depot, putting the screws to associates there….

Comment by Rick — September 11, 2006 @ 9:28 am

16. Everyone’s comments are bitter. GE is the best company in the world. If you think your ol’time small company is going to survive, think again. GE has been growing for over 100 years and will be here when your daughter’s daughters lose their virginity. SOrry but you are a bunch of bitter asses.

Comment by from a GE employee — November 10, 2006 @ 9:18 pm

17. As a former GE employee to the GE employee, you are obviously a newby to GE, naive but “loyal” now. Just wait until you’ve been with them between 15 to 20 years, if you make it. Those mother fuckers will screw you over too, and then you’ll be singing a different toon. I’ll never buy another GE product again!

Comment by Former GE Employee — December 1, 2006 @ 7:44 pm

18. GE truly sucks. I have been trying to get a phone repaired or replaced while under warranty for nine months now. Current CEO hasn’t even bothered to acknowlege my 4 ltrs. to him. Even the Atty. Gen. of the St. of Ct. can’t get a response from GE. If you’d like to view my saga, see my web site GE Sucks. http://pages.prodigy.net/rita.p/GE_Sucks.htm

Comment by Rita Pompano — March 6, 2007 @ 4:44 am

19. Ge has its positives and negatives. I worked there for 6 years eventually left as it just became a joke. They do pay well and they do include alot of benefits for their employees. The only problem I ever had with the company was their lack of ethics and also that they had little if any integrity which they bang on about all the time.

Ge is one of those companies that you should work for but not give your life to as they are not rewarding in the long term. If you remember this and follow this they will give you a good boost up the career ladder if you ignore this then you will end up being used and then dumped as an excess cost. The choice is yours just dont forget that as all big companies, they can help or destroy you just dont be blind to it.

Comment by Noel — March 12, 2007 @ 6:09 pm

20. After 11 months of battling GE to get a phone repaired under warranty,
    I finally got a new phone delivered to me yesterday. Not sure if it was my GE Sucks Website or the involvment of the Attorney General of the State of Ct., but I finally won. Was it worth the effort I had to put into it? I think the next time I have a problem getting something repaired under warranty, I will go back to the store where I purchased the item. Surely they should have some responsibility too. Rita

Comment by Rita Pompano — April 12, 2007 @ 9:27 am

21. They bought my company and they suck! I hate them.They lie alot.

Comment by Tom — April 15, 2007 @ 3:05 am

22. Ge have just taken over the company I work for!! Time for a new job I think.

Comment by Steve — April 22, 2007 @ 4:42 am

23. STOP complaining, dig your head into the dirt. Can’t win, join ‘em.
    That’s what I did.

Comment by noname — June 6, 2007 @ 11:08 am

24. Hey been using this sleek designed phone model # 27938GE2-M.
    The buttons work only on a second try most of the time. Which pissiz me off a lil bit at timez. Otherwise ok. Cost me $40. No complaint, next time buy a different brand.

Comment by GE phone user — June 6, 2007 @ 11:12 am

25. I bought an GE air conditioner through Wal-Mart and it gave out in 10 months. Wal-Mart has a 90 return policy so they referred
    me to the GE “could give a shit about the customer” number. I paid $135.00 for this window air conditioner and GE said they would not fix it and that they would only send me a purchase voucher for $50.00, not the $135.00 that I paid for the unit. So rihgt there they put a value on the unit which i paid almost 3 times the value that they put on their own mechadise.

Comment by Mario Richards — July 18, 2007 @ 11:12 am

26. Short and sweet buy GE buy a service contract you will kick your self in the ass if you dont. From GE service tech

Comment by ge tech — November 8, 2007 @ 7:20 pm

27. REQUEST FOR INFO: I am a journalist writing an article about outsourcing. I have been trying to find out where G.E. outsourced all those jobs to after people were axed, but G.E. itself keeps such information secret! I wrote to their director of public relations and he said he did not diclose that information. If anyone reading this BEFORE DECEMBER 2007 has any information regarding where G.E. has outsourced their jobs, and what years they began to outsource in addition to cut jobs, I would very much appreciate it: avidreader711@gmail.com

Comment by John L. — November 14, 2007 @ 6:26 am

28. GE sucks big time. They sent us a letter (I’m sure by court order) telling me to that my built in microwave is a fire danger. They could only come two weeks later and made me be available for a four hour window. Then they didn’t show up until 3 hours after the end of the window. I’m a little guy, but I’ll never buy another GE device again, and I hope you don’t either.

Quick Overview

Comment by Mark Madner — February 14, 2008 @ 11:37 am

29. you sissies…. hmmmm
    stop bitching, work is work, ocean is an ocean.. you swim hard you get there!! you dont… then jack will freeze… jack from titanic not jack from GE… not coming? ask kumar our office boy he will tell you “now coming!!”

over 50 and you want benifits go die and burn your self… or i will come and burn your religion… bitch.

and the bitch with the phone… really you are one dump bitch.. phone works or doenst who gives a fuck about it… go to radio shack or wallmart they are the sellers GE are stockers… coming? not coming!!? ok now coming… idiot…

IT guys…. get a life… joing engineering, project management, sales… you got so many choices… ask kumar he will say “yes coming”

Hudson river, mine, and the fisher who cought a fish with five eyes… fuck you… and fuck your fish… find another river… this river is for our toxic use we need to dump shit in it… and thats where we dump our deffective phones too there…

Asbestos… according to GE latest studies, it is not harming and a usefull substance if you sniff it 2 to 3 times a day it will clear your lungs from the smoke you inhale…

did any body sue car manufacturers who are orgionally the creators of polution, “not coming?” ok now now coming there is a freaking hole in the ozone because of those automobiles… but since you use GE’s Energy on a daily basis or it is not that visible front of your eyes you think it is useless but you wouldnt mind the cars or electricity hidden waste… “coming?!!”

jack welch’s mother… is now being auctioned on Ebay please login and start bidding, we will give you NMR 601, 602, 603 and as built or as built is 603 coming?!!

life is a bitch, you gotta sell all the time… even ideas, lies, stories, etc etc…

Best Regards;

Kumar Jig Jig Kutti
    GE Office-Boy

Not Coming Department
    Coming Manager
    Europe.

Comment by Ziby wawa — February 22, 2008 @ 3:50 am

30. Melvyn de Villiers is an asshole

Comment by Natasha de Villiers — October 15, 2008 @ 10:46 am

31. KUMAR, speak English. Who taught you how to spell? Maybe try using spell check. You illiterate jerk. “Dump bitch?” Don’t you mean dumb bitch? GE truely sucks! Check their stock price bitch, i’m buying up all their shit stock. Cheap as hell, $19! FIRE SALE! Immelt knows how to run a business into the ground. One day, GE will wise up and get rid of that fucker along with that regime. When that day happens, I will be rich.

Comment by Ex-GE Office Boy — October 17, 2008 @ 6:53 pm

32. In the meantime, #31, your investment has lost around 30% of it’s original value in less than a year. The stock market is a sucker bet, and it matters not one whit the company in question, it’s all a big fraud. Sure, GE is nothing more than a shell of it’s former self and we have Jack Welch to thank for that, but the blatant manipulation of the market by HFT and other schemes makes Welch’s antics look like a kid swiping a lollipop from a candy store.

Comment by Silence Dogood — July 30, 2009 @ 10:33 am

33. Laid off fro GE Canada with 36 years of service. Purge to rid over
    50 year old salaried M &P employees. Was not advised that extended
    health and medical benefits would be lost as I was not 55 year old at time of layoff.
    Several pension enhancements for USA GE employees but despite several pleads no enhancements to GE CANADA salaried pension plan.

I despise Welch and Emelt for not recognizing the contributions made by long service employees.

Oh by the way, a GE CANADA VP protested my layoff to the GE CANADA President, and the GE CANADA VP was fired. A world class asshole company.

Comment by Canadian Bob — October 20, 2010 @ 10:56 am